Friday, November 23, 2012

Bring thankful for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is a time for being thankful and I have so much to be thankful for this year.  My wonderful family and friends who have been so supportive of me and my journey to becoming a pastry chef and this awesome opportunity that I have to learn at Bittersweet Confections just to name a couple.

This was a very busy time at Bittersweet Confections.  This week not only did we have many of our usual cakes and confections to make, but we had pies to make.  Lots and lots of pies to make.  We offered three kinds of pie for the holiday, as well as a couple of different cakes.

Pies
As for the pies we made both 9 inch pies and 3 inch individual pies for people to pick up.  We had a few orders before we even began, but of course there were many, many drop ins looking for something delicious to add to their Thanksgiving spread.  I was very proud of my pies thank you very much!  :)  We had a bourbon pecan pie, dutch crumb apple pie, and of course, pumpkin pies.  I don't even remember how many we made, but it was a lot!




Cakes
We had a few orders for cakes and I was able to make one of the red velvet cakes that was ordered from start to finish.  I pretty much make all of the cake for the shop, but I rarely get to ice and decorate them.  The head pastry chef Eric takes care of most of those so needless to say I was very excited to show a little skill.  We also had an order for an eggless carrot cake.  It wasn't vegan so the customer still wanted the cream cheese icing.  He just wanted to make sure there were no eggs in the cake.  I have to say I was very surprised at just how moist and delicious this cake turned out.  I wasn't able to get a picture before he picked it up though.  :(  We also went ahead and prepared a few of our chocolate mousse cakes that are coated in chocolate ganache (uh, can you say YUMALICIOUS!) and they were ready to be decorated with a cute turkey for the holiday. 



Thanksgiving Day
This was by far my favorite day of the week because I got to see my boys!  I have missed them so much and I can't believe it has been a month since I have seen them.  They arrived on Wednesday night with my mother in law for the holiday.  Even though it was just the four of us we had quite the feast.  I baked a nice little turkey, cornbread dressing, mac and cheese, collard greens, green bean cassarole, rolls, and of course gravy.  I have lots of leftovers.....lol  It was a busy week with working every day and then prepping for Thursday in the evening, but it was so worth it.  I was also able to squeeze in some delicious desserts.  We had spice cake with cranberry filling, chocolate silk pie, apple pie, and pumpkin pie (duh). Even though this paragraph wasn't actually about what I did at work, I thought it was a great lesson in multi tasking and making the most of your time.......not to mention it was about all of the cooking and baking I did too! 




I hope you all had a wonderful time with family and friends and took a moment to reflect on all of the things we should be thankful for in our lives. I had to say goodbye to Lane and Brandon again this morning and it was a tough morning for sure.  I will be counting the days until I see them again. 



Instead of my usual "Keep it sweet" sentiment I will leave you with another in honor of the holiday.

May your bellys be full and your hearts be stuffed with love!

See you next week! 



No comments:

Post a Comment