Thursday, February 28, 2013

Spring is around the corner

Mardi Gras is over, Valentine's Day has passed, so now it is time to get ready for the next holiday coming around the corner.  The lenten season has begun and the traffic in the shop has definitely reflected it.  We have been a lot slower this week, which is not great, but it has allowed us to restock after the holidays and get ready for Easter which will be here before we know it.  This week is kind of bittersweet for me (no pun intended) because it is my last week at Bittersweet Confections.  I have learned so much and make many new friends while I have been here.  I have thoroughly enjoyed living and spending time with my parents and while I am sad to be leaving, I am also very excited about coming home to my Tallahassee family and friends and getting started with my own adventure. 

Back to Bittersweet.......spring allows for new decorations and lighter flavors making an appearance.  We have started making more fruit tarts and lemon tarts for the case and this week I also made some lemon bars to start serving.  The lemon bars have a shortbread crust with a tart yet sweet lemon curd which is baked and then dusted with powdered sugar before serving.  The bars at Bittersweet are really more like a lemon chess bar than an actual lemon curd.  There is a little flour in the mix which gives it a little different texture than a traditional curd.  Either way they are delicious and it is nice to have something sweet that is not quite so heavy. 


Spring also brings brighter colors in decorations.  We have started decorating our petite cakes and petit fours with little flowers instead of turkeys and gold swirls.  The contents have not changed, the petit cakes are still a moist chocolate cake, filled with chocolate mousse and coated with chocolate ganache, and the petit fours are still almond cake coated with an almond fondant.  They are just a little brighter now.  :) 






We have also started making spring sugar cookies in the shapes of spring and Easter.  Our sugar cookies are really light and delicious and are decorated with royal icing which is made from powdered sugar, meringue powder, and a little water.  This icing hardens once it dries which allows you to bag the cookies without any damage to the decorations.  This week we made little bunnies, carrots and some little chicks.  I have to say the cookie cutter for the chicks is a little strange because it looks like the feet are backwards, but once they are decorated they look a little more like a chick.  My co-worker and I say he looks like he is leaning waaaay forward like...."Hey, whatcha doin?" 


Next week I will be moving back to Tallahassee to start my next adventure.  If you have liked my Facebook page you now know that I will be starting my business by working and serving as Sweet Inspirations at Connie's Hams and Roasters in Market Square.  I am currently taking orders for Easter and will start serving breakfast April 1st.  I am so nervous and excited at the same time.  I know it is going to be a lot of work, but so worth it.  Be sure to stop by and see me and pick a little something up!

I have been so blessed with all of the support from everyone and all of these amazing opportunities that are coming my way.  Just as I remind you all each week it reminds me that.......Life is Sweet!!!

Until next time......Laissez les Bon Temps Rouler!!

No comments:

Post a Comment