Friday, June 29, 2012

The Flower Spray

Last nights mission......decorate a cake with a flower spray, basket weave on the sides and another message.  I thought, "Basket weave, I can do basket weave, I love basket weave......flowers, pfft I can do flowers....this will be a piece of cake (pun completely intended).  WRONG! 

Started the night making another batch of icing.  Easy peasy one two threesy, now I'm grooving (since we have music on in the background, I am literaly grooving...oh yea!) along icing my cake and getting ready to create my latest masterpiece......and thats when it started going down hill.  First, as I iced my cake my little perfectionist devil popped on to my shoulder and proceeded to point out every little spot on the cake that wasnt completely smooth knowing that I wouldnt couldn't stop until I thought it was absolutely smooth.  Then, when I finally decided that the sides would be covered by the basket weave so what am I killing myself for, I shook it off and got ready to create the most beautiful spray of flowers ever dang it! 

I started out trying a different technique for roses called a ribbon rose.  You take a flower nail and place the wide end of the rose tip against the nail and slowly twist the nail as you squeeze out icing and it winds up in a circular pattern that comes out looking like a little rose.  So, I made a few of these and set them aside to dry a little while I figured out just how I wanted this spray to look.  As I gazed dumbfounded at my cake I couldnt come up with a picture in my head to save my life!  Good thing this wasnt a timed assignment.  I finally decided to just get some dang flowers onto the cake and see where it lead me.  I started with a yellow rose, and then added a couple of the pink ribbon roses, then another smaller yellow rose, and then I got stuck.  I decided to practice a couple of rosebuds before piping them directly onto the cake......"ok, up, down and over......nope, try again.......up, down and over......nope, one more time......up, down and over......ugh, @#*^&%&*(........up, down and over......OK, sweet peas it is!  So, I added a couple of sweet pea buds, an apple blossom, a couple of colorful daises and then piped in some purple filler flowers, added a few leaves and a small vine and VOILA a flower spray!

Next, the basket weave.  I'll make this short and sweet.....I do not like basket weave.  Well, just kidding....sort of.  I do like basket weave, but I forgot how tedious it can be. 

I decided that this cake would not be another welcome home cake.  Hmmm, what to write.....what to write?  (Light bulb) Congrats Stacey!  because let's face it, by the end of the night I deserved some congratulations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment